Pages

Thursday, April 21, 2011

ONE DOWN, INFINITY TO GO

April 17, 2010
As of last Sunday the 17th (which we spent in blissful soreness from the SLC race) Zach and I made it through a whopping one year of marriage.  We're old pros now, right?  It's been fun thinking back over the last year and feeling like I've lived a lifetime in a twelve month period.  Between the two of us in that time we have:
  • Lived in 4 (soon to be five) 5 apartments
  • Driven through 25 states
  • Attended 3 different schools: BYU, UVU, and U of U: (Zach actually did all three himself)
  • Had 5 (soon to be 7) different jobs
  • Run 3 half marathons, 1 marathon, 2 triathalons, and biked 4 100k races
  • Successfully made curry: 0 times.
Although being married for a year doesn't really qualify me to give advice, since when has that ever stopped anyone?  These are the "nuggets" I've taken away from this first year:
  • Moving is always more work than you think it will be.  Stuff MULTIPLIES.  Exponentially.
  • Never make food for company that you haven't successfully made on your own at least twice.
  • As long as you love 'em, liking is optional for small periods of time.
  • Always pay your tithing.
  • When you are both food fanatics, food bills can reach surprisingly astronomical levels.
  • Arguments will happen and they aren't fun, but if you resolve them in the right way they can bring you closer faster than anything else. 
  • The higher ground is the most easily defended.

My new favorite story that pretty much describes our ever-changing relationship came from this last week.  I was making a cake and needed 3/4 butter, but I only had 1/2 cup of salted butter and 1/2 cup of unsalted.  As I pondered my predicament out loud, Zach lit up.  "We can calculate this babes!"  He looked up the sodium amount per serving of the salted butter, calculated the weight of the sodium and chlorine per mol, took the percentile weight that sodium made up of salt (40%), divided it into the amount of needed butter, and then converted grams to teaspoons and voila!  1/8 tsp.  After all the effort and calculation, I then grabbed a salt shaker and shook what I deemed to be 1/8 tsp into the batter.  Zach was apalled.

The more I see of this world the more I realize what a great guy I somehow convinced to marry me. If this last year is any indicator, we are in for a fantastic life.

2 comments:

  1. Yay! We love you guys! I'll have to make you guys curry and see if it is a worthy recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a HALARIOUS story. Made my day. You guys are too funny! I can't beleive all the things you've done in just 1 year of marriage! It makes me feel REALLY boring...

    ReplyDelete